Mounting adjustable table leg – part 1

Time to assemble the adjustable table leg and this is something I am very excited about. Being able to move and spin the table around in the horizontal plane will be a really good thing in a small space. When going from sitting in the sofa eating to stand up straight the table can simply be pushed away to give room for the body to straighten. The whole thin can also be dismounted when it is time for sleeping mode. Here is the progress so far:

table-mount

The part that makes the table swivel is attached to the underside of the table with six tree screws.

lagun-table-mount

Here is the mount tself. The vertical profile will be slided onto a bracket (not shown in the picture) that I will fasten into the sofa using four M8 bolts.

Electrical panel 2 – solved!

The ethernet cable was not so stiff after all. Just moving the solar control unit upwards and drilling a hole for the cable solved the problem.  This is how it looks now:

Electrical-panel-finished

The panel is also possible to swing open for easy access to the wires.

Electrical-panel-opened

Electrical panel – trial and error..

So the latest project has been making an electrical panel located over the fridge. I made it out of plywood from a hatch that became redundant. I am not too happy with the layout though. Why? While I did get all components to fit in visually it looks…too cramped. I am thinking of the on/off key switch and the volt meter that were squeezed in verically. I also should have tried connecting the ethernet cable for the volt meter to the solar controller. If I had done that  I would have discovered that it must have a couple of centimeters to run straight down before the cable can start to be “tucked in” to the panel. Now the cable interferes with the opening of the fridge door. I will try to move the controller as far up as it can come to make the cable fit. If that does not work….then I guess the only way is to move the whole fridge down a bit and possibly make a new panel.

electrical-panel

New sunroof

The old sunroof was from the seventies or eighties and looked like this. It let a depressing yellow/brownish light through and to get more ventilation one had to unscrew the brown knobs, push the hatch up with one hand and then tighten the knobs again with the other hand. No real protection from rain in raised position either. It also had its fair share of cracks and mold stains. So it had to go!

old-sunroof

A collegue at work had bought two new sunroofs model mini heki for his caravan.

sunroof-mini-heki

I bought them both. So far I have only installed one. Here is how it turned out:

A fantastic improvment compared to the old one. The installation was pretty straight forward. The only problem was that the hole in the roof was slightly larger than the sunroof in the sideways direction. I fixed that by adding a one cm thick distance in wood. Otherwise I just added plenty of butyl rubber as sealant between the upper part of the sunroof and the roof of the bus.

Bummer! Then the surf stuff came up on the roof blocked both light and the possibility of opening the hatch..

Well I guess there are solutions to that problem too. Raising one side of the surfboards up a bit so they get tilted might be one solution. More of that in later posts.

 

Foldable table varnished!

I have been working a couple of weeks with varnishing the foldable tabe I bought last summer. I  put on four layers of varnish (well not on the underside of the table – only two there.) Here I am mounting one of the hinges and showing of my great technique with the drill.. 😉

And here is an overwiev of the table (minus two hinges or so..)

Now I am waiting eagerly for the lagun adjustable swiveling mount for the table. I ordered it yesterday and they have sent it so I should have it before the weekend. Neither the table nor the mount were cheap but the end result is going to be stunning and give a really comfortable living space!

 

 

The quest for the perfect surfbus begins!

Welcome to this blog about the making of an extraordinary surfbus! I recently bought an oldtimer, a Mercedes Benz L508d anno 1973. Here are some pictures of it in the shape it was when I bought it:

20130706_140247

Nice paint job that has held up well considering it was done 18 years ago

20130706_140428

Side door opened and you can see the old fridge

20130706_140547

Cosy or what?!

20130706_140531

The drivers cabin. The original “dog house” has been exchanged for a home built one since the sound/heat-insulation had come loose on the old one. I did get the old one so I will fix it and put it back there.

surfbus-parked

And here it is parked at my favourite windsurfing spot Sjovik:

I bought the vehicle at a location a couple of hours away from the city I live in. It was a bit naive of me to pay for it before I could drive away with it. The deal was that the previous owner would fix the brake cylinder within two weeks of the purchase which he of course didn´t. Five weeks later he delivered it on the bed of a big lorry because he failed to fix the it. Well, finally I had it in my hands! Lots of mods and tweaks to be made before it deserves to be called a surf bus. But first and foremost it has to be baptised. I took a glass of water, climbed up on the roof, poured it there and said “thy name shall be Helga!”